Thursday, May 30, 2013

Thursday: Musical Depression

After that massive post yesterday that most likely bored my singular reader to death, I almost forgot to write one tonight.  As it is, this one will probably be pretty short, unless I come upon some incredibly fountain of inspiration at some point in the next twenty minutes.

Now I could talk about normal problems, such as the Calc test I’m pretty sure I failed this morning or the four extra hours I spent at school finishing the final issue of the newspaper (although that’s not a problem so much as it leaves me mentally exhausted).  However, I’ve got something on my mind that may seem oddly simple, and which anyone reading this should probably ignore, but which I feel like writing out.

I go on music binges.  I listen to different bands in giant bursts; sometimes for days on end, I’ll listen to a few songs or album wanting nothing but to hear the same voice and guitar and drums and style.  This week, the subject of my binge was Maroon 5… which I think has actually dropped me into a partial funk.  When you can’t stop listening to everything from This Love and Makes Me Wonder to Daylight and Payphone, despite the fact that each song is basically about failed love… well… it sounds melodramatic but it gets really damn depressing.

Which brings me to a point that was not the original point of this post (but dammit, this is my blog, and I do what I want), that Maroon 5 is really freaking depressing.  Besides maybe Moves Like Jagger, which is either about dancing or mental disease, every single Maroon 5 song is about messed-up love, abusive love, the need for love, the hatred of love, or the pain of having to abandon love.  In other words, I can’t listen to one of my favorite bands without being immediately depressed.  What a wonderful predicament.

SONG OF THE DAY: DAYLIGHT

I apologize to the purists and the critics, but Daylight is easily my favorite Maroon 5 song.  And it also happens to be the most depressing one of them all; it’s told by a guy who has found love, or at least something resembling it, and is being forced to leave.  This guy actually caught the green light, and has to let it go.

Adios.

No comments:

Post a Comment